May Recipe of the Month:
No-bake Protein Bites (with vegan, gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free options)
- 1 cup of natural almond butter (or peanut butter/cashew butter)
- ¼ cup of honey or ¼ cup of maple syrup for a vegan version
- 1 ½ cups of rolled oats (use gluten-free oats if desired)
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of unsweeted shredded coconut
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup of mini chocolate chips (or substitute vegan chocolate chips or dried fruit such as cranberry or banana chips for dairy and vegan options)
- 2-4 tsp of water
- In a medium mixing bowl combine nut butter, honey, and vanilla extract
- Stir in oats, coconut, and salt and mix until well combined. Add chocolate chips slowly. If the mixture isn’t sticky or holding together then add additional water or vanilla until the consistency can be held together when pinched
- Form 1” balls by pressing 1 TBSP of mixture together
- Store at room temperature for 1-3 days or refrigerated for 1 week
Dr. Schmidt tip: Make these over the weekend as an easy go to snack when on the run. If it is prepared ahead of time you are more likely to grab them and go. They also freeze relatively well.
Nutrition tip: Get creative with add-ons or substitutes! Try mashing a ripe banana in, use dried fruit, nuts, cinnamon or cardamom, or seeds. For an extra nutrition punch, I’ll add flax or chia seed (if you don’t like the consistency try grinding the seeds first!). You can also toast the oats first for some added flavor.