Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Crispy Capers and Carrots
This makes a great side to grilled chicken or baked salmon!
Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 18 minutes
Ingredients & Amounts:
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 1/2 cups (1/4-inch) diagonally cut carrots
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup well-drained capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Combine Brussels sprouts, carrots, and 3 tablespoons oil in a medium bowl, tossing to coat. Spread on large roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil and butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add capers; fry 3 minutes or until brown and crisp. With slotted spoon, transfer capers to paper towels to drain. Set aside.
- Combine Brussels sprout mixture and capers in medium bowl. Sprinkle with parsley, salt, and pepper; toss gently to mix.
Servings: 12 1/2 cup servings. Calories: 86. Total Fat (g): 6. Saturated Fat: 1.Total Carbohydrate: 8. Dietary Fiber: 3. Protein: 2.
Fun fact: the image above shows how Brussel sprouts are grown, I had no idea that’s what they looked like before being picked! –Dr. Schmidt